Cannot start VM - /dev/rbd/rbd missing, but /dev/rbd0 present?

jw6677

Oct 19, 2019
www.cayk.ca
Code:
/dev/rbd1
kvm: -drive file=/dev/rbd/rbd/vm-150-disk-0,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,discard=on,format=raw,cache=none,aio=io_uring,detect-zeroes=unmap: Could not open '/dev/rbd/rbd/vm-150-disk-0': No such file or directory
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

I suspect this issue has resulted from a recent accidental upgrade to ceph, outside of the pve repo. :(

It seems I can `rbd map` drives to /dev/rbdX properly, but when attemping to start a VM, I receive the above error.

Upon inspection the `/dev/rbd` directory does not exist.

Can anyone offer guidance as to what I should read/learn about, in order to solve this issue?

Edit: In related news, Manually creating via `mkdir /dev/rbd/rbd && ln -s /dev/rbd/rbd/vm-150-disk-0 /dev/rbd1` appears to allow the machine to start, so I have my workaround and am closer to the solution.
It seems to me there is a system for controlling the creating of links (etc) when devices are added to a machine, but I am a little lost...

Last edited:
Well that was super tedious to figure out.

For anyone who comes in future, my issue was with `/usr/bin/ceph-rbdnamer` which was missing for some stupid (User error) reason.

udev is the system I was trying to identify.

Other possible causes for this issue would be:
Issues with user udev rules at: `/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/`
Issues with this file in particular: `/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/50-rbd.rules`

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!