[SOLVED] Cannot install PVE as UEFI OS

promoxer

Apr 21, 2023
While reinstalling PVE, I was able to install it as an UEFI OS on a Transcend SSD but not on my Kingston SSD SV300S37A120G.
I'm able to differentiate because the BIOS selections will prefix with UEFI OS.

Also checked that Windows 10 had no issues installing itself on Kingston as an UEFI OS.
Also checked that there was no newer firmware for this Kingston.

At the end of the PVE install, it says

Bash:
bootloader setup errors:
- failed to prepare EFI boot using Grub on '/dev/sda2': unable to install the EFI boot loader on '/dev/sda'

Even though there was this error, PVE was still able to boot (non UEFI) after a restarting

There was another thread about making the Kingston the only UEFI bootable device, but that did not have an effect for me
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-7-0-failed-to-prepare-efi.95466/

2 reasons why this is of interest to me:

1. What's wrong with my Kingston? (Can it happen to my other storage?)
2. Does UEFI play a role in making GPU passthrough less hassle? (in my UEFI PVE, I did not had to configure anything for GPU passthrough to work)

EFI variables was clogged up with dump entries

1. While installing PVE, press ctrl + alt + F3
2. Ran rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-* to fix
3. ctrl + alt + F4 to switch back to installer

BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRY THIS, REMOVING THE WRONG ENTRIES COULD BREAK YOUR MACHINE

Last edited:
Reactions: Miswu13
EFI variables was clogged up with dump entries

1. While installing PVE, press ctrl + alt + F3
2. Ran rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-* to fix
3. ctrl + alt + F4 to switch back to installer

BE CAREFUL IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRY THIS, REMOVING THE WRONG ENTRIES COULD BREAK YOUR MACHINE
Thx a lot!!! It works for me.

This also worked for me, I must've had about 80 dump files in there. Legend!

When should this be done? There are no `/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-*` files
IIRC efi variables are stored in the motherboard nvram, they're entrypoints to your os bootstrap, if you reinstall a lot, and you reinstall systems that do not reuse variables, you could end up with no space left to insert another entry to boot your last installation of [something] - if you don't perform a fresh windows install every 3 months (as it seems needed for that stupid os to work because it breaks itself randomly, but I digress) or something similar, you shouldn't encounter this issue.

IIRC efi variables are stored in the motherboard nvram, they're entrypoints to your os bootstrap, if you reinstall a lot, and you reinstall systems that do not reuse variables, you could end up with no space left to insert another entry to boot your last installation of [something] - if you don't perform a fresh windows install every 3 months (as it seems needed for that stupid os to work because it breaks itself randomly, but I digress) or something similar, you shouldn't encounter this issue.

Thanks.
in my case (Dell Inspiron 3050)
  • deleted all UEFI entries
  • disabled secure boot
  • erased both SSD's partition table with dd
  • UEFI boot from PVE USB
there were no dump-* files, but insllation always fails at the end with this `bootloader setup errors`. Eventually I gave up and switched to installation from legacy boot, which worked without any issues

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!