[SOLVED] cannot create lvm on top of iscsi volume

dlmw89

Dec 5, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm setting up a small proxmox cluster with three hosts and an HP P2000 ISCSI storage.
Everything works fine, the only problem is that I cannot create the LVM on top of the ISCSI lun.
I get the following error message in the Proxmox GUI:
create storage failed: error with cfs lock 'file-storage_cfg': pvcreate '/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-3600c0ff000d8c1a602afce1201000000' error: Cannot use device /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-3600c0ff000d8c1a602afce1201000000 with duplicates. (500)

I've installed the hosts today with the very latest Proxmox Version 6.1.3.

Has anyone seen this erro before?

Best Regards

Daniel

create storage failed: error with cfs lock 'file-storage_cfg': pvcreate '/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-3600c0ff000d8c1a602afce1201000000' error: Cannot use device /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-3600c0ff000d8c1a602afce1201000000 with duplicates. (500)
seems you have multiple connections to the SAN - you need to setup mulitpath and use the mulitpath device as PV for the LVM

see the wiki-entry [0] on multipath - it's tailored towards iSCSI, but should also help if you're connecting via FC or SAS

I hope this helps!

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ISCSI_Multipath

Hello,

thank you for your fast reply.
Normally I would use multipath only when the system is aware that there are multiple connections to the target, like a typical FC or FCoE setup.
However in my case I'm using LACP bonding on the hosts and also LACP on the storage.

Rgardless, I'll try to use multipath and keep you updated.

Thanks

Daniel

However in my case I'm using LACP bonding on the hosts and also LACP on the storage.
LACP is on a different layer and its use is independent of multipath..

the error-message you posted before is however most likely related to having multiple paths to the same device/LUN

the output of `lsblk` can help in those situations (also just installing mulitpath-tools and looking at the multipath -ll output)

Hello,

thank very much for your advice.
Due to the fact that I have a storage with dual active controllers, a "lsblk" and also a "pvesm scan iscsi x.x.x.x" showed that there are two identical disks and also one wwnn with two ips...

Installing multipath and running multipath -ll solved my problems!

Thanks Daniel

Reactions: Gilberto Ferreira
Glad the issue got solved - please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - it helps other users who are confronted with the same error-message

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!