Cannot create a linked clone from template

jfucci

May 27, 2013
Henderson, NV US
I have created a VM where I installed Ubuntu 12.04 using OEM mode. I converted the VM into a template. I can create a Full Clone from the template, but if I choose Linked Clone, the Clone button gets greyed out and I am unable to create a linked clone from the template. The template resides on an iSCSI SAN. Any ideas? Thanks!

your storage does not support linked clones.

use file based storage (local directory, NFS) or Ceph RBD. For some iSCSI SAN like Nexenta its also working (Nexenta plugin is available but not yet supported).

use file based storage (local directory, NFS) or Ceph RBD. For some iSCSI SAN like Nexenta its also working (Nexenta plugin is available but not yet supported).

Thanks Tom. I was afraid of that. Did I miss this in the documentation somewhere?

I'm running into this as well but am already using Ceph RBD (tried with more than 1 template). Any ideas?

I'm running into this as well but am already using Ceph RBD (tried with more than 1 template). Any ideas?

Turns out if you move a disk after converting to a template, the disk name changes from having "base" prefix to "vm" prefix, which isn't allowed to be used with linked clone. One solution is full clone then convert to template again. Seems like either blocking the disk move while template or using proper name during move would solve this though. Maybe Proxmox staff can speak into this.

Turns out if you move a disk after converting to a template, the disk name changes from having "base" prefix to "vm" prefix, which isn't allowed to be used with linked clone. One solution is full clone then convert to template again. Seems like either blocking the disk move while template or using proper name during move would solve this though. Maybe Proxmox staff can speak into this.

you mean https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1260 , which is already fixed both in 4.4 and Beta 5.0 ?

I guess I should have mentioned your name Monday to get that information without figuring it out on my own. I didn't know about that, so I couldn't have meant it, but yes, it does seem to match up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!