[SOLVED] Cannot boot (anymore) VM from USB via BootMenu after upgrade to PVE 5.2-9

Krzysztof Szymiczek

Sep 20, 2018
Hello,

I have a "specific" setup on my proxmox machine.

There are 16 SCSI disks passed through to VM machine as VIRTIO-SCSII devices, there is also a pendrive passed through, and this VM runs unRaid system. As there is no possibility to automatically boot from passed through USB (AFAIK) i helped myself by entering the boot menu and selecting the pendrive to boot from.
In the previous version of PVE 5.1-29 the virtio-scsii disks were not visible in the boot manager of the VM (seaBios), so i could easyly pick pendrive to boot from within the menu.
After upgrading, the virtio-scsii disks are visible in boot menu, so my pendrive went far down in the boot order and is now a two-digit position (17). This disallows me to pick it from the boot menu as when I press 1, the system tries to boot from device 1, so i cannot type 17 :( What a dummy thing (!).

What Can I do to help myself in that siutation? Now I am unable to boot our main file server.

qm_bootorder.PNG

Attached the VM cfg

vm_cfg.PNG

To put some light on this:
1. No money to replace the 16 disks with let's say 5x14TB
2. I cannot passtrough the controllers to unraid VM instead of disks, as the system does not work well after that (Dell PERC H300 flashed to IT mode) so this is not an option
3. The above setup worked well over 1,5 year :(
4. I do not like to downgrade.

Kindly please help :)

Hi,

I'm not sure if this works for you.

Try to change seabios against OMVF and there is a graphical interface where you can use up and down keys.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this works for you.

Try to change seabios against OMVF and there is a graphical interface where you can use up and down keys.

Hello Wolfgang.
Thank you for your input.
I changed the bios and i can navigate to the USB pendrive, but the system will not boot of this pendrive.
Is it possible to somehow (hide) the drives so they will not popup in seaBIOS boot menu, so I can use the SeaBIOS, or is there any other solution?.

I have to boot from physically passedthrough pendrive as this is, how the licencing for unRaid works (it is bound to physical pendrive).

Is it possible to somehow (hide) the drives so they will not popup in seaBIOS boot menu, so I can use the SeaBIOS, or is there any other solution?.
No this is not possible.
Ask Unraid how you can run it on EFI because OVMF is an EFI implementation.

Hello,

i Helped myself by passing-through the controllers. It seems to work fine with the new kernel, so the surplus drives vanished from the boot menu and I can now boot using SeaBIOS again. The pendrive is even on the first place now.
Please consider this thread as closed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!