Cannot Access web UI after creating LACP

AidenTheBot

Jan 31, 2021
Hi,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge I am new to proxmox and this industry as a whole. So the server I have to run has 4 gigabit nics on it and I had configured proxmox to run on just one. For redundancy purposes and wanting improved speeds I went poking around the network config. I made a LACP bond with all 4 nics then made a virtual bridge to bridge it. I can access the server through SSH. As a note the server asked me to install ifupdown2 and remove ifupdown.

- "vmbr0 received packet on eth1 with own address as source address" From /var/logs
- I cannot access the WebUI I get hit with err_connection_refused however the server can ping me and I can ping it
- The container running the network controller is on that server and I can't get into it to boot it to make a LACP group (I was trying to boot from CLI but I could not get that to work the pct command was unrecognized by the system)

1. forget about LACP. It only causes trouble and does not do you any good (at least in home usage scenarios). Use active / passive or SLB mode instead.
2. try disconnecting all but one nic from your team. This hopefully should give you access back again. If that doesn't work
3. You hopefully have somewhat access to your switch to disable the ports or an IPMi access to remote KVM

1. forget about LACP. It only causes trouble and does not do you any good (at least in home usage scenarios). Use active / passive or SLB mode instead.
2. try disconnecting all but one nic from your team. This hopefully should give you access back again. If that doesn't work
3. You hopefully have somewhat access to your switch to disable the ports or an IPMi access to remote KVM
The server was giving me so much trouble even somehow taking the rest of the network offline so I just reset all of the drives and I am going to reinstall proxmox. I have 4 nics on my server how do I go about creating a link aggregation for them that would work correctly?

LACP works correctly if setup correctly. However it involves setting up the switch-side as well!
And why I recommend not using LACP: It is not worth the trouble. LACP does not provide 4Gbit Link-Speed to your application. It just does not work like this. LACP can provide 4x 1Gbit, so four individual clients can eventually see some benefit. For home usage-scenarios? Very unlikely.
If need to share the load on the interfaces, then use ALB or SLB mode. There is a good WIKI page that should get you started:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration
I am running a team with 2x 1Gbit NICs and literally everything runs through that team. All 16 VMs, the host. Backups, everything. I only from time to time hit the limit of 110 MB/s per port...

LACP works correctly if setup correctly. However it involves setting up the switch-side as well!
And why I recommend not using LACP: It is not worth the trouble. LACP does not provide 4Gbit Link-Speed to your application. It just does not work like this. LACP can provide 4x 1Gbit, so four individual clients can eventually see some benefit. For home usage-scenarios? Very unlikely.
If need to share the load on the interfaces, then use ALB or SLB mode. There is a good WIKI page that should get you started:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration
I am running a team with 2x 1Gbit NICs and literally everything runs through that team. All 16 VMs, the host. Backups, everything. I only from time to time hit the limit of 110 MB/s per port...
I think I found out why everything broke. The control panel told me to update to ifupdown2 and in doing so it removed
"ifenslave ifupdown libproxmox-acme-perl libpve-access-control
libpve-cluster-api-perl libpve-cluster-perl libpve-common-perl
libpve-guest-common-perl libpve-http-server-perl libpve-storage-perl librados2-perl
proxmox-ve pve-cluster pve-container pve-firewall pve-ha-manager pve-manager
qemu-server"

and would not allow me to reinstall anything. From some reading I am assuming its because I am not a paid user I am not too sure of a workaround

I am assuming its because I am not a paid user I am not too sure of a workaround
I dont think this is the reason. There is no difference between paid and free repositories. Something else must have going wrong.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!