[SOLVED] can we create bunch of lvm-thin pools with individual drives and then attach that to unraid vm?

max7

Jul 6, 2023
TLDR: I am a noobie and learning Proxmox

Usecase: Plex media, games storage, other random stuff

I am curious about this pattern. I want to let Unraid manage the pool or array, but I simply want to pass the drives on along as lvm-thin. These LVM-Thin pools seems to only consist of one drive, at least thats how i can select it in the gui.

I assume this method is essentially passing on the virtual drives and not the full drives correct?

What are the pros/cons to this approach?

Besides the HBA or bare metal approach, what would be a better setup compared to passing in lvm-thin pools

I am ordering a HBA card, so ideally I'd want to use that or just simply move Unraid to bare metal (another server that iam going to rebuild into a NAS). But this won't have for few weeks and I just want to learn few things before then.

Specs:
mobo: MSI PRO B550-VC
cpu: Ryzen 5 5500
RAM: 3200 32GB DDR4
GPU: Radeon RX6600 8GB

If PCI passthrough of a HBA won't work I would passthrough the individual disks as virtual disk like described here instead of working with LVMThin:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)

Any additional abstraction layer like LVM-Thin would just add unneccessary overhead reducing life expectation of SSDs and performance and makes stuff harder to predict and maintain.

Last edited:
If PCI passthrough of a HBA won't work I would passthrough the individual disks as virtual disk like described here instead of working with LVMThin:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)

Any additional abstraction layer like LVM-Thin would just add unnecessary overhead reducing life expectation of SSDs and performance and makes stuff harder to predict and maintain.
Thank you for linking the correct doc. I was in a bit of a google rabbit hole. I have it all attached now. Going onto my next steps. We can close this as SOLVED!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!