can not install windows10 whith virtio

Mar 17, 2016
I tried to install Windows 10 ent with virtio driver on hdd and network, but encountered a problem: the installer does not pick up the latest drivers from loosely.
I tried to choose virtio driver for win7/win8/win8.1/win10.

translated using google translaitor.

Attachments

• 2016-11-30 11 36 39.jpg
    2016-11-30 11 36 39.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 228
  • 2016-11-30 11 36 56.jpg
    2016-11-30 11 36 56.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 2016-11-30 11 37 09.jpg
    2016-11-30 11 37 09.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 2016-11-30 11 38 32.jpg
    2016-11-30 11 38 32.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 207
You need point to the RIGHT driver dir:

e.g. for virtio disk on win10 you need to go to:

> viostor/w10/amd64

for virtio scsi:

> vioscsi/w10/scsi

You need point to the RIGHT driver dir:

e.g. for virtio disk on win10 you need to go to:

> viostor/w10/amd64

for virtio scsi:

> vioscsi/w10/scsi
so it did, all the screenshots shown. No driver picks up - and that's it.

so it did, all the screenshots shown. No driver picks up - and that's it.

no, you screenshots shows the VIRTIO Balloon device, no storage disk device.

d:\viostore\w10\amd64\viostore.inf

See screenshots carelessly?

I cannot read your language, but your screenshots shows also Balloon device.

But anyways.

If you choose the right drivers from latest 0.126 virtio driver disk, all should work.

Make sure that you window ISO is OK, some users reportet corrupted ISOs and had similar problems.

See also (a bit old but maybe it helps):
http://www.proxmox.com/en/training/video-tutorials/item/install-windows-7-with-spice

Reactions: benbrookshire
I cannot read your language, but your screenshots shows also Balloon device.
Where?? Path "d:\viostore\w10\amd64\viostore.inf" points to driver, and about which you wrote in your first post, how do you see there also Balloon device???
I saw that video early and whith windows7 instalation no have any problem. Problem only whith windows10.

And i use it 126 version of the driver.

Try record video and attach the link here later

1. please post your VM config, so we can see what driver do you need.

> qm config VMID

2. which windows ISO do you use exactly?

with the upgrade will have to wait - after the latest upgrade from 3 to 4 dropped network. Barely I raised it, but it works strange - requires 2 network cables. On the first wire virtual machines have access to the external network, the second wire can reach proxmox web interface.

I have a special made Windows 10 Enterprise ISO that has MDT installation. I can't use Virtio. I used SATA and it is installing now.
Will see if this will work.

I am a different person.
If the image is no a typical windows one there is no choice during installation to install virtio driver. I had to choose a SATA drive when I create the VM to work. Why Proxmox don't encourage using sata?

I am a different person.
If the image is no a typical windows one there is no choice during installation to install virtio driver. I had to choose a SATA drive when I create the VM to work. Why Proxmox don't encourage using sata?

Oops! Sorry! :)

This works if you have a Microsoft windows image. I have a special enterprise ISO that I can't install drivers during installation. I used SATA instead of virtio

This works if you have a Microsoft windows image. I have a special enterprise ISO that I can't install drivers during installation. I used SATA instead of virtio

Ok. If this Windows installed on sata-disk and works,
stop VM and add another disk (virtio, not sata) into VM, boot Windows and install virtio drivers for new disk.
If this happens, then you can stop VM and change the type of the first disk via Remove first disk in Hardware tab
(this action not really delete disk, it will remain there as Unused disk and data on the disk will not be lost)
and add it again via double click on it, but as virtio . After successful booting Windows You may delete second disk.
(second disk was needed for install the virtio driver only)

Best regards,
Gosha

Reactions: Coneng
stop VM and add another disk (virtio, not sata) into VM, boot Windows and install virtio drivers for new disk.
If this happens, then you can stop VM and change the type of the first disk via Remove first disk in Hardware tab
(this action not really delete disk, it will remain there as Unused disk and data on the disk will not be lost)
and add it again via double click on it, but as virtio . After successful booting Windows You may delete second disk.

Best regards,
Gosha

THANK YOU this worked... long process but works.

Best regards,
Gosha
Just had to drop in to say that I also had to use this method today. I've never had any problems like this before so I was a bit stumped at first. Found this old thread and is still was the solution! I'm on PVE 7.0-13 and I tried to install W10 Enterprise from an official source.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!