Can not install Windows 2019

EBMS1

Dec 31, 2019
Hi,
Trying to install windows server 2019 trial version on proxmox 6.2 with Virtio 18.5, always getting:

2020-09-06-192028_1920x1080_scrot.png

Any ideas please?
Tried several virtio drivers, downloaded the trial iso also several times: always the same error.

Thanks in advance

Can you show the VM config? On the CLI: qm config <vmid>

Hi,
here is the config:
root@express:~# qm config 102
agent: 1
balloon: 1024
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 4
ide0: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.185.iso,media=cdrom,size=402812K
ide2: local:iso/17763.737.190906-2324.rs5_release_svc_refresh_SERVER_EVAL_x64FRE _en-us_1.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 8192
name: Hosting1
net0: virtio=32:43: DA:90:05:69,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-102-disk-0,size=500G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=eaac61e0-6554-4e4e-a997-310aa85e333f
sockets: 1
startup: order=3
vmgenid: d8d2cdea-5174-4072-bd03-b0169935b867

hi,

can you try setting these variables in the config and try again:
Code:
ostype: win10
machine: q35

How and where to change please?
In the OS tab, there is 10/2016/2019 and that was chosen from the beginning.

you can modify the config file directly in /etc/pve/qemu-server/102.conf (make sure the VM is turned off during this)

tried and the same Error message.
Tried with virtio18.5.

Last edited:
Interesting as that usually works fine for me.
Maybe try the older 171 iso?

As a workaround you can detach the disk and reattach it as either ide or sata. Then do the install. To install the VirtIO scsi drivers on the installed and booted system you can temporarily add a second HDD which is virtio scsi. It can be as small as 1GB is it only needs to be recognized by Windows so it will ask for the drivers. Once the drivers are installed, you can change the boot disk back to virtio scsi.

Yes that's it.
I tried also the 18.9 and 17.1

Always works here. Are your sure that your windows ISO is not corrupted, e.g. during upload?

Based on the history of such issues, this was the reason for problems in more than 90 % of the windows install problems.

Reactions: benbrookshire
Even IDE or SATA are not working. What could be the issue?
it couldn't be an upload problem as it was copied directly in the server.

Even IDE or SATA are not working. What could be the issue?
it couldn't be an upload problem as it was copied directly in the server.

Did you verified the ISO after you uploaded it (e.g. sha-256 checksums)?

ISO verified and worked fine with wmware or direct installlation.
Any other ideas?

I have the same problem. Exactly the same message as the screenshot from the OP. I have several other VMs running off a zfs pool, and I cannot install Windows 10 2004 .iso. The virtio drivers just won't succeed during installation. I verified SHA's several times between the host sha and Microsoft's own expected sha. So this is not a corrupt ISO. Same with Windows 10 1909. Running Proxmox 6.2 with latest non-subscription updates and kernel.

Here's my VM config (redacted the virtio MAC as it injects unwanted images and doesn't add value). I tried all - scsi (below), virtio, even sata. Watched Proxmox's narrated video example and read the best practices several times. There has to be some bug or non-obvious misconfiguration here.

agent: 1
bios: ovmf
bootdisk: ide2
cores: 32
efidisk0: aorus:vm-102-disk-1,size=1M
ide0: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.189.iso,media=cdrom,size=488766K
ide2: local:iso/Win10_2004_English_x64.iso
machine: q35
memory: 32768
name: win10
net0: virtio=[redacted],bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsi0: aorus:vm-102-disk-0,cache=unsafe,discard=on,size=250G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=5de116e6-4f0c-498e-982b-b5fafbfa13cc
sockets: 1
vga: vmware
vmgenid: 06c83d97-8ca7-4ff8-8645-b3d8be43de5e

Last edited:
I see the same issue if I use SATA or IDE instead of scsi or virtio. No disk is recognized. How is Windows VM installation supposed to work?

Arrived here after experiencing the same issue.

I know the post is a little old but thought I'd post my solution for anyone experiencing the same problem.

The solution for me was very simple. After swapping the ISO image from Windows to VirtIO to load the drivers, change back to the Windows ISO and click the refresh button. The error message will disappear.

Hope that helps someone.
Craig

Reactions: krazuel
The solution for me was very simple. After swapping the ISO image from Windows to VirtIO to load the drivers, change back to the Windows ISO and click the refresh button. The error message will disappear.
You could also go ahead and add a second CD drive with the VIrtIO iso before starting the VM the first time.

Arrived here after experiencing the same issue.

I know the post is a little old but thought I'd post my solution for anyone experiencing the same problem.

Hope that helps someone.
Craig
This also solves the error "Windows can't install on that drive 0x80300001" after loading the virtio driver and selecting the disk.
OMG! What a stupid error message. How about "Please re-insert the Windows installation disk"? That would have saved me 40 minutes.
Thanks Craig, I was getting very cranky.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!