Can i run Debian 8 LXC on Proxmox 7?

yena

Renowned Member
Nov 18, 2011
Hello,
i have some LXC debian 8 container on a Proxmox 6 cluster.. now i'm planning an upgrade to proxmox7,
but i have read about cgroupv2 support only systemd version 231.
(debian 8 has Systemd Version: 215..)

Unfortunately we can't upgrade to Debian 9 ..

Some ideas ?
Thanks!

There exists a workaround: [1], but:
Switch back to the legacy cgroup controller. Note that while it can be a valid solution, it’s not a permanent one. There’s a high likelihood that a future Proxmox VE major release, for example 8.0, cannot support the legacy controller anymore.

You might want to check first:
Upgrade the Containers systemd version. If the distribution provides a backports repository this can be an easy and quick stop-gap measurement.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pct.html#pct_cgroup_compat

I expect that for services that cannot be upgraded a (emulated) VM will be the most stable solution in the long run because that has the least dependencies on the environment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!