[SOLVED] Can a Ceph disk be used as a Windows Failover Cluster Shared Volume?

Jul 26, 2023
Hello and thank you for your time.

TL;DR - Can a Ceph disk be used as a Windows Failover Cluster Shared Volume? If yes, what particular VM configurations need to be made in order to make the WFC accept the disk?

Related forum threads - Support for Windows Failover Clustering, hpe 1060 stroage with 2 hpe server setup, Proxmox HA + MSSQL Failover Cluster
Environment - I have a 5 node PVE 7.14-17 cluster. I have Ceph 17.2.7 co-located on every node. I have 2 AD-joined Windows Server 2022 VMs, File01 and File02.

I am trying to figure out how to create a Ceph disk in Proxmox that can be used as a Windows Failover Cluster (WFC) Shared Volume (CSV). I know this is a Proxmox + Ceph + Windows Server question rather than a strictly Proxmox question, but I figure posting here is more relevant that in a Ceph or Windows Server forum.

Both File server VMs have a separate 50G OS disk in addition to a ~2.5TB shared disk. The shared disk was created by creating a disk on File01 via the Web GUI, then manually inserting it into File02's .conf file. I know attaching multiple VMs to the same disk is not recommended, but that is based on the assumption that the attached VMs are not clustered nor cluster aware. In my case both VMs attached to the disk are joined to a WFC and thus access to the shared disk is controlled.

File01
Code:
ostype: win11
scsi0: PMVE-RBS:vm-204-disk-1,cache=directsync,discard=on,iothread=1,size=50G,ssd=1
scsi1: PMVE-RBS:vm-204-disk-3,aio=native,size=2621952M
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

File02
Code:
ostype: win11
scsi0: PMVE-RBS:vm-205-disk-1,aio=native,cache=directsync,discard=on,size=50G,ssd=1
scsi1: PMVE-RBS:vm-204-disk-3,aio=native,backup=0,size=2621952M
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

When I run a WFC validation Storage test, I am given the error: Physical disk {UUID} does not have the inquiry data (SCSI page 83h VPD descriptor) that is required by failover clustering
Screenshot 2024-05-28 115056.png

Thus far my troubleshooting (Read: Trial and error) has been focused on the VM's configured disk controller and disk interface. I originally used the VirtIO SCSI Single controller and the SCSI bus/device as is best practice, but since tried (To no success);
- VirtIO SCSI single + SCSI + Discard + Direct Sync + SSD Emulation + native async (My typical VM configuration)
- VirtIO SCSI single + SCSI
- VirtIO SCSI + SCSI + Discard + Direct Sync + SSD Emulation + native async
- VirtIO SCSI + SCSI
- VirtIO SCSI + SATA
- PVSCSI + SCSI
- PVSCSI + SATA

From what (admittedly little) I know about Ceph and Windows Failover Clustering, this should be possible. Is this possible? If it is, I would really appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Please let me know if any additional information would be useful.

Hi @tplz ,
Windows Failover Cluster requires support for SCSI Persistent Reservations. While QEMU supports persistent reservation managers, Proxmox does not implement support, which is likely a good move because there are a ton of pitfalls here.

Persistent reservations must be passed through to the underlying storage for correctness. Note that the implementation requirements are slightly different for iSCSI and FC and that Ceph is not a compatible storage system and does not natively support persistent reservations. I've seen reports of trying to emulate persistent reservations with iSCSI layered on top of Ceph but I've never tried it and YMMV.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: tplz
I never tried; I would expect it to work using the default LSI sas controller- but why are you bothering with a failover cluster on top of a HA cluster? it give you no further utility... (and the reason I never tried it lol)
I don't believe the LSI controllers have drivers for Windows 11 / Server 2022. - https://kb.blockbridge.com/technote...part-1.html#windows-server-2022-driver-status

The main driver is application HA for mission-critical workloads. Proxmox HA does provide hardware HA so that hardware issues will cause minimal downtime, but any individual VM having issues (Assuming not due to a hardware issue) can still cause significant downtime if not attended to immediately. While individual VMs having issues is fortunately not common, the importance of some workloads dictates that the benefits of application HA would outweigh the con of increased complexity.

Hi @tplz ,
Windows Failover Cluster requires support for SCSI Persistent Reservations. While QEMU supports persistent reservation managers, Proxmox does not implement support, which is likely a good move because there are a ton of pitfalls here.

Persistent reservations must be passed through to the underlying storage for correctness. Note that the implementation requirements are slightly different for iSCSI and FC and that Ceph is not a compatible storage system and does not natively support persistent reservations. I've seen reports of trying to emulate persistent reservations with iSCSI layered on top of Ceph but I've never tried it and YMMV.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
After looking into that particular facet of Ceph, this makes sense to me (at least on a surface level). I believe this answer is what I was looking for. Thank you for time and expertise!

but any individual VM having issues (Assuming not due to a hardware issue) can still cause significant downtime if not attended to immediately.
I see. Since both pve and Windows can serve the same purpose, and as you are a Windows shop and presumably properly licensed, what stops you from just using windows on metal? might be a better solution for your usecase.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!