can´t snapshot volume 'local:114/vm-114-disk-1.raw' ?

fpausp

Renowned Member
Aug 31, 2010
Austria near Vienna
I got this msg when I try to snapshot a win2008r2:

Code:
can´t snapshot volume 'local:114/vm-114-disk-1.raw' ?

any suggestions how to resolve ?

I believe you could only do snapshots if you're using a qcow2 disk.

Sorry,
but this is wrong!
If your local storage is on a volume group like on the standard installation you can do snapshot-backups without problems - it's created an lvm-snapshot (need free storage in the volume group).
Code:
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 298 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO:   Logical volume "vzsnap-proxmox2-0" created
INFO: creating archive '/backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-298-2012_12_07-08_13_40.tar.lzo'
INFO: adding '/backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-298-2012_12_07-08_13_40.tmp/qemu-server.conf' to archive ('qemu-server.conf')
INFO: adding '/mnt/vzsnap0/images/298/vm-298-disk-1.raw' to archive ('vm-disk-ide0.raw')
Udo

KVM live snapshots needs a storage supporting snapshots. qcow2, (and rbd, sheepdog, nexenta, ...). raw do not support KVM live snapshots.

LVM snapshots for backup is a complete different thing (but similar name ...). as long as you raw files are on LVM you can do LVM snapshot for backups.

Related to storage that support snapshot, digging around I've found that recent LVM support the "lvconvert –merge". As far as I know, has become available since kernel 2.6.33 (and the lvm parts from 2.02.58).
Is something that would work as well as qcow2, once Proxmox will go to a more recent kernel or this feature will be backoporte (maybe by Red Hat?).
Just curious, because I tend to use LVM storage for performance reasons, qcow2 is known to have not stunning I/O performance, and the "snapshot" feature is really valuable when you have to test updates or something like that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!