Bulk emails with Proxmox mail gateway

powersupport

Jan 18, 2020
we have a client who is looking to send out 800,000 emails a month using proxmox mail gateway. May I know how many Proxmox mail gateway servers are required in order to gain smooth delivery?

Thank you.

this depends probably more on the exact specs of the server and on the receiving mail servers....

but 800 000 mails per month is about a mail every 3 seconds, which should probably be possible with even a single server, depending on above (cpu/disk/receiving mail servers)

i'd personally start with one (or maybe two) and monitor the usage + throughput

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Could you provide an estimate of the resources (RAM, CPU) needed to manage this traffic on a single server? Additionally, we are considering using multiple IPs in PMG. Is it possible to randomly relay outgoing and incoming emails through different IPs?

Could you provide an estimate of the resources (RAM, CPU) needed to manage this traffic on a single server?
not really, it largely depends on your ruleset and the actual mails, e.g. the spamassassin scan can vary quite a bit depending on the mail content...
as i said, i'd try to monitor it on actual data, and scale accordingly

Additionally, we are considering using multiple IPs in PMG. Is it possible to randomly relay outgoing and incoming emails through different IPs?
not in a "built-in" way, but it may be possible using the underlying postfix config templates (see https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_template_engine for more info on that)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!