building a Windows 2019 server and DHCP server

bsargent

May 13, 2020
Hello! We are trying to build a server to send to one of our branches. We are hoping to have it host a domain controller that will be on a sub domain to our main domain. One of the roles we'd like it to have is DHCP server. So far I have been unable to get the server to send out any DHCP addresses after creating the scope. I have assigned vmbr0 to the VM. I think this was an error and I should have created a new vmbr1 but, have been unable to verify this yet. Can anyone provide some hints as to the right way to build this environment?

Thank you!

Hi,

this depends on how your network setup is designed.
You can use every vmbr for this purpose.
But ensure that the Firewall is configured correctly if you have enabled it.

Does the created vmbr need to have an IP assigned to it if in the VM you will be assigning one? The vmbr0 has an IP assigned but, I'm assuming that is so we can reach the Proxmox server to manage it. Our server has 4 Ethernet ports. Can the 3 not dedicated to managing the Proxmox server just be assigned to vmbr1, 2, 3 without any IP information and then used as we see fit by VMs?

Thank you!

Does the created vmbr need to have an IP assigned to it if in the VM you will be assigning one?
No, a vmbr is a switch and a switch needs only a IP address if you will manage it.
The vmbr0 has an IP assigned but, I'm assuming that is so we can reach the Proxmox server to manage it
Correct.
Can the 3 not dedicated to managing the Proxmox server just be assigned to vmbr1, 2, 3 without any IP information and then used as we see fit by VMs?
Yes, you can do that.
If you make one new bridge vmbr1 with the three dedicated NICs than you have a switch.

Reactions: bsargent

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!