bug: (debug?) Logs from a larger backup from PB client cause the task window and browser tab to become unresponsive

jose-d

Aug 23, 2023
I suspect this is caused partially by how task detail window in webgui is implemented,
and because Proxmox backup client-initated backup is very verbose at server-side.

here is screen recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq3LS00I8p8

Reproducer:

1. run proxmox backup of large enough (2TB+ ) directory using proxmox backup client, wait a 5minutes to create some log entries
2. go to pbs web-ui, in top left corner click on Tasks, and with doublecklick, open the task started above
3. Task detail window opens, having thousands(?) of successfully added chunk messages. Even on laptop with current CPU and decent size of memory it is able to hung firefox tab.
4. (minor problem) the content in task window is incomplete, with white spaces

Expected behavior:

* One can open task window for backup without freezing browser tab

It seems, that VM backup is not affected by this, because there are no verbose messages about "chunks".

Versions of related software:

* Firefox 119.0 (64-bit) on Ubuntu Linux
* promox Backup Server 3.0-4
* proxmox-backup-client 3.0.4-1

Not sure if this is the correct place to report issues, please correct me and I can post this into proxmox bugzilla, if there is any.,

Last edited:
oki, it seems the log is coming from one of two statements

Perl:
        env.debug(format!(
            "successfully added chunk {} to fixed index {} (offset {}, size {})",
            digest_str, wid, offset, size
        ));

in
Code:
./src/api2/backup/mod.rs

cannot be, that there is accidentally enabled debug mode for proxmox backup client (and properly disabled for PVE backups?)

Hi!
yes, the debug flag is set without taking into account the `PBS_LOG` environment variable. We are currently working on a revamp of the whole logging system, so stay tuned for that! I'll also have a look at the ui page and api endpoint to see if we can optimize something...

Reactions: jose-d

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!