BTRFS - Slow Boot from "Welcome to Grub!"

funtowne

Sep 9, 2021
Hi All -

I decided to give btrfs a try as my root FS on a single mSATA SSD. Everything seems fine aside from boot times - for some reason, GRUB hangs on the "welcome to Grub!" message for a solid 20 seconds. Grub's also seems slow to respond. Once the kernel is loaded and the initrd is sorted, the system boots seemingly as quick as any other filesystem setup that I've tried to date.

Is there a missing option or setting that I should be passing to speed up Grub's loading? It's honestly not a big deal, but could be a corner case worth sorting during the "tech preview" phase of btrfs support..? (this is how we fix things!) Adding: I was testing some other odds and ends on the machine in question and left CSM and Legacy boot on by mistake, so UEFI (should) be out of the picture. If switching back to UEFI is the fix, I'll do it! I've also installed all of the latest updates from the non-production repo; no change.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!