Boot stops after cpu change, can't access GRUB

BlueTable18

Jul 26, 2024
Hello everyone,

I installed proxmox on my intel system with an Nvidia gpu. I configured the system, so the gpu could be used by one of my VMs. It worked just fine but I decided to upgrade to an AMD ryzen 7 5700x cpu instead of the intel i5 11400. The mainboard used to be a Gigabyte B560M DS3H V2 and I switched to an Asus Prime B550 Plus. I changed the mainboard and cpu, everything else is the same. IOMMU and SVM Mode are enabled. The bios is the latest version. When I startup proxmox I first enter a menu where I can select between the most recent one and previous proxmox versions to boot from. It doesn't quite seem like a GRUB menu though because there is no option to boot into recovery mode. When I press e instead of selecting any of the options I get the line

root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs

I can edit it but there are no other lines. After 3 seconds it automatically starts the most recent version. The issue is that in all systems it starts booting, but just stops after
one of two lines:

Finished modprobe@dm_mod.service - Load Kernel Module dm_mod

or the line

modprobe@efi_pstore.service: Deactivated successfully
(Which comes 4 lines after 1.)

At that point it gets stuck and doesn't continue booting. I can't seem to figure out how to enter recovery mode and also I have no idea what exactly is wrong and how to fix it.
If anybody has an idea please share it with me, because a new install would be a real pain in the ass. Also if you need further information please feel free to ask about it.

Can you test the system with a Ubuntu 24.04 installer from a USB (don't install, just see if it boot you into a desktop) to see if your hardware works at all?
If that works, maybe disable iOMMU in the BIOS to prevent VMs with PCI(e) passthrough from starting automatically (since PCI IDs and IOMMU groups will be different).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!