Boot failed: not a bootable disk

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by reconquista, Feb 6, 2019.

1. reconquista

reconquista New Member

Hi everyone,

This post is similar to https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/boot-failed-not-a-bootable-disk.39301/ and https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/boot-failed-not-a-bootable-disk.11788/
    These forum post are unresolved.

I have a VM running Linux Centos 6.7, 64-bit. 4GB RAM, and only a 32GB of disk. The mainly usage is to relay internal mails to Internet , using Sendmail-SMTP.
    Yesterday was installed some antispam protections (MailScanner from mailscanner.info) Apparently the installation process intensively writes the hard disk with multiple small files. Once installed, there is approximately 500 mb more in the file system.

I restarted the virtual machine to make sure the service was installed correctly. But when restarting, the machine presented the error "Boot failed: not a bootable disk"

I remember that in previous versions of Proxmox there were tools to analyze qemu images. But currently in this Proxmox 5.2-1, how to identify the type of file - if it is qemu or if it is another format? And with what tools can it be repaired?

2. wolfgang

wolfgang Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

Hi

for image manipulation, you can use "qemu-img"
    the check operation will check the consistency of the image.

Use as Disk bus only virtio and SCSI with virtio controller.
    All other buses can make problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. reconquista

reconquista New Member

Hi Wolfgang, thanks for your reply

When I´m intended to run qemu-img: "qemu-img check vm-306-disk-1" have received the reply: "qemu-img: This image format does not support checks"

Path: /dev/zvol/rpool/data

Config file:
    boot: c
    bootdisk: sata0
    cores: 1
    memory: 512
    name: 15.1-Correos
    net0: e1000=6E:B2:BB:27:34:93,bridge=vmbr0,link_down=1
    numa: 0
    onboot: 1
    ostype: l26
    scsi0: local-zfs:vm-306-disk-1,size=32G
    sockets: 1

I have tried with SCSI/VIRTIO disk, with the same negative result.

4. wolfgang

wolfgang Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

ZFS need not be check because zfs can't corrupt on mage level.

Your problem is your VM use the wrong boot dev.
    Please the correct boot dev in the options tab.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. reconquista

reconquista New Member

Hi again Wolfgang,
    The machine are working previously without a problem, for a couple of years, in the same physical server.
    When I finished updating the packages and restarted the virtual machine, I found the error mentioned. As I said before, it is not a bus or connector problem, since nothing was modified externally: the machine was working.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice