Bind Mount Permissions in Unprivledged Container

psjmcneill

Feb 26, 2024
Going around in circles trying to configure a NFS bind mount for my Nextcloud container.

I've added a NFS share to my host via the Proxmox GUI and from the host I can access the folder and the contents fine.

I've been following numerous guides on this forum and this one too https://itsembedded.com/sysadmin/proxmox_bind_unprivileged_lxc/

But I am getting permission denied when trying to open the mount in the container.

What I've attempted so far.

So I have spun up the NextCloud template from turnkey, this creates my a container with UID of 105.

I've followed the steps in method 2 of the itsmebedded link above.

Code:
chown 1000:1000 /mnt/pve/nextcloud -R

Code:
echo "root:1000:1" >> /etc/subuid
echo "root:1000:1" >> /etc/subgid

My container conf now contains this at the bottom of it:

Code:
mp0: /mnt/pve/nextcloud,mp=/root/docs
unprivileged: 1
lxc.idmap: u 0 100000 1000
lxc.idmap: g 0 100000 1000
lxc.idmap: u 1000 1000 1
lxc.idmap: g 1000 1000 1
lxc.idmap: u 1001 101000 64535
lxc.idmap: g 1001 101000 64535

Then boot the container and try to CD into /root/docs and get permission denied.

I think I am missing something obvious but I just can't figure out what it is, any help would be appreciated!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!