big load on proxmox node

kaines85

Dec 22, 2015
Hi all,

i have some strange issue with my proxmox node server, the issue is that when i powerup a openvz container (small one 1gb memory 20gb hdd) the nodes just freaks out - means that loads goes 200+ i/o is 99% and this load/io is cused by kswapd* process.

Server is:

2x six core 2.8
72Gb memory
8x 300gb raid 10

Proxmox:

pve-manager/3.3-1/a06c9f73 (running kernel: 2.6.32-32-pve)

Thanks in advanced!

are you saying a single 1GB OpenVZ container is generating load averages of 200.0 on a 12-Core node, with 99% IO-wait times ???

That sure is strange.

is it only this container running or are there other CT / other VMs running on the same raid-10 ?

no no, i have more openvz containers here, and the load is about 10-20 but when i star one containter or restart some container i get that big load.

2x six core 2.8

is this with or without Hyperthreading ?
  • if without then >= 12.0 load-average means your running at 100% on all cores.
  • if with, then >=24.0 mean your running at 100% on all cores.
edit: does the 200.0 load average persist indefinitely, or does it go away after a while ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!