Better disk format and net (virtio or scsi)

rmoglia

Jul 28, 2009
I see for windows kvm aways choose IDE.

Im installing debian lenny guest 32 bits on proxmox
whats the best disk format. (virtio or scsi).

For compatibily issues like migrate between plataforms.
Have any restrictions?

Who is the best (virtio or scsi).

For networks virtio on debian guest is the best option?

I see for windows kvm aways choose IDE.

Im installing debian lenny guest 32 bits on proxmox
whats the best disk format. (virtio or scsi).

For compatibily issues like migrate between plataforms.
Have any restrictions?

Who is the best (virtio or scsi).

For networks virtio on debian guest is the best option?

After few days of tests, with disks images on raw files (DON'T USE QCOW!), the best way is to use virtio for both network and disks.

After few days of tests, with disks images on raw files (DON'T USE QCOW!), the best way is to use virtio for both network and disks.

virtio network is currently broken in Proxmox - due to patches to kvm which add "fair scheduler" functionality, KVM guests will get "slow" after a couple of days (may depend on the number of guests running and the load they have).

So it's best to use e1000 network driver until it's fixed.

For block device, virtio driver works well.

for example, from my tests I found that if you currently use Windows 2008 is best to use ide drive as the net I have not tried, but if you use Debian Lenny (always 64bit) is much better virtio

Uhm...some time ago, Windows kvm with scsi was not more compatible...then is still so. I thinked that with new version this problem was resolved...
So I use IDE...but will be slower then scsi...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!