Best way to separate VMs?

Richw

Jun 6, 2023
Hello,

I have a situation where I share a server with another business and it has come time where we need to part ways and so I need to transfer my VMs off of this server and onto a separate server. I would need this separate server to be stand-alone when all is said and done. How would I go about this? My thought is this:

1. Configure a new server with same version of PVE
2. Create a cluster on the existing server
3. Join the new one to the cluster
4. Migrate all of "my" VMs over to this box (no shared storage so vm storage would also move to new box)
5. Leave the cluster with the new server and remove the cluster configuration from both.

It's the last step that I don't know how to do properly. These are highly simplified steps as I have networking concerns as well such as some of the VMs being on a DMZ network but I can handle all of that.

Thanks,
Rich

the best way would be to:
1) Install new PVE
2) Install PBS either virtually or directly on bare metal of the same box as PVE
3) Backup from old server to PBS
4) Restore from PBS to new server
5) dont mess with any clustering

optionally, you can simply "scp" VM data from one host to another, include VM config. The complexity of this option will depend on underlying storage used.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Well I am already using PBS to back up this server so I could do another incremental backup and then restore to the new box. I didn't even think about that. That would be much simpler.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!