Best way to run Android with a physical display

fedd

Feb 26, 2024
Hello,

I have a rather powerful Supermicro server in my home lab for both my work (multiple VMs and containers) and entertainment (jellyfin in an lxc, home assistant and such). Currently it has an Nvidia GPU installed along with its own Aspeed graphics.

I'd wish to connect a physical touchscreen display to it to make it a kiosk running a dashboard. As experimentation, I had to install a minimal X11 and a firefox-esr right on the host and it seems to work (though it later required to add pulseaudio and the host system started to become not that minimalistic). It worked with the display connected either to the Aspeed (va HDMI-VGA adapter) or to the Nvidia card, but I liked the quality of the latter more.

I've also tried to run an Android-x86 in a container but didn't manage to get it working with the display and the USB, anyway it was some older Android so I left it alone.

Lately I've noticed the Waydroid project which ran smoothly on my Ubuntu laptop with a more recent Android 13 inside (except I had to switch to Wayland), and my idea to run the Home Assistant touch-screen dashboard in an Android container has revived, but I can't imagine where to start.

I'd wish to run it all within a container (so the Nvidia card is shared with other software in other containers), but I'm guessing Waydroid starts the container itself and I am afraid to mess the things up. I could install the Ubunty container and try to run the Waydroid there (would be a nested container), but I remember difficulties to allow the container to display anything on a physical monitor.

I'd overcome those difficulties if hinted that the ultimate goal was possible, but If there were the exact steps to run Android on my setup that would be really nice!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!