Best way to encrypt system drive / cache drive

FilmGab

Dec 15, 2023
What is the best / simplest way to encrypt the system drive with SSH remote unlock. promox Sys encrypt is experimental. I’m looking for something with a good track record.

I found this tutorial which seems simple but I’m running into issues setting it up. I’m not sure if it is my hardware set up or if it’s because not written for proxmox 8. I haven’t found much other info on other people encrypting their sys dive that way on so I’m not sure if I should go with something that is wider adopted.

I have Proxmox installed on mirrored ZFS and nvme drives. One is in the mb m.2 slot the other is in a pci-e 4x card. I’m planning to use the system drive as a cache driver for a truenas ZFS pool of spinners as well. I’m hoping not to have to buy another drive for caching. I’m running low of expansion slots and cash (the cold hard variety.)

Should I just install promox on top of Debian? If I do will I have any issues with pci-e passthrough or using the system drive as a cache drive as well. Is there a better way?

Thanks.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!