[SOLVED] Best way to access NFS mount from a CT

Dec 17, 2021
Hi.

We have a Proxmox VE with ~50 CT's running.

We need to share some files between all the CT's. For that we use a NFS mount that must be mounted by all the CT's.

At the beginning I opted for mounting the NFS mounts in the host and then give them as resources using the -mpX parameter. I assume that this was a better approach, for the host kernel is just one NFS mount. I was happy with that solution.

But now I have added a second VE to the cluster.

I found that when I try to migrate a CT between servers in the cluster fails because the -mp resource.
ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:00): cannot migrate local bind mount point 'mp3'

If I remove the mounts from the container configuration and mount then inside the container with a mount call, the I can migrate the CT's without problem.

I just wonder if there's a way to make the NFS mount shareable between the two VE's.

Also wondering if mounting 50 NFS in 50 containers can have a negative impact in the host VE performance.

I will be grateful for any advise on this.

Cheers
Javi

Hey :)

NFS mount doesn't really impact VE host perfs ;)

With "features" in option tab, you can, when privilegied mode ON on the CT, mount directly into the CT your share.

For NFS between your two nodes, just make a dedicated NFS server in another phyisical host, to prevent losing access from downing of 1 host :)

Reactions: Javier Vilarroig
Sorry for the delay :oops:

Finally I have followed your advice.

I'm mounting the required NFS shares in the CTs to avoid having migration problems. This required to install on each container nfs-common and update fstab accordingly.

In the hosts I have mounted the NFS shares in each of them, to make sure I also have access to shared data in them.

After the change I have not noticed any issue, instability or increase in host load.

So, yes. I can consider this solved.

Reactions: Pifouney

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!