Best setup for Main server + backup server which is not 24/7

Mar 8, 2016
Hello:

For the past year or two I have run a 'main' Proxmox server which runs a few VMs but also handles NAS duties. Then I have a 'backup' Proxmox server which boots up for an hour a day and does backups using pve-zsync. All storage is local.

The problem is I created the pair as a cluster, and this creates problems of course with quorum, if the backup server is off then for example a power-failure reboot (or even a VM reboot) fails because of no quorum. I have gotten used to typing pvecm expected 1 frequently!

I am one major version behind, so I'm ready to update and wondered with the latest features how you recommend I set things up. Unless there are new options to solve the lack of quorum problem, it seems I should NOT create a cluster next time.

Thanks!

Hi,
Unless there are new options to solve the lack of quorum problem, it seems I should NOT create a cluster next time.
This is not a problem this is design.
With 2 nodes you never can know what state the cluster has.

Expect this 2 nodes only the cluster network get lost.
So every node is thinking the other node is down but this is not true.

Here you can read the hole story ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_fault_tolerance

Yes, I meant only that in my case of only two nodes (master and sporadically-online backup) the normal cluster function does not work for me.

My question was, now that I have read further and know the name of the service, can I use Storage Replication (pvesr) to keep a daily-updated backup on my second machine WITHOUT creating a cluster which causes me the problems?

My reading of the page ( https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Replication ) indicates that the new pvesr DOES require a cluster, so is not useful in my use case. Is that correct? My option then is only to have two independent Proxmox machines and use pve-zsync? Thank you.

(master and sporadically-online backup)
I'm not clear with this sentence?
Does this mean you start the backup node and than sync the data and after the job is done the backup node will shutdown?

In this case, but only in this you can give the productive node a vote of 2.

This would give you quorum without the backup node.

If the first node is down the backup node must be activate with expected 1.

With this setup you can use a cluster and pvesr.

You can set them when you crate the cluster.
see
Code:
pvecm help

ah... should I assume the fact that not even root can write this file means it is impossible to change it after cluster creation, or can I be cheeky and change it anyway?

Code:
-r--r----- 1 root www-data  434 Sep 25  2016 corosync.conf

If you have already a cluster you can set it direct in the corosync.config.
But edit /etc/pve/corosync.conf.
To apply this config you have to restart the corrosync service.

#man pvecm helped me out! In case it helps anyone else:

#pvecm create clustername --votes 2

will create a new cluster (as long as none exists) and give 2 votes (instead of normal 1) to the machine on which you created the cluster, the first node.

Probably most people should not do this, but I think it is a good option for my purposes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!