Best option to run Docker containers?

delebru

Jul 10, 2018
I would love if docker containers would be handled similarly to CTs/VMs by Proxmox but there doesn't seem to be much interest.

So I was wondering, from those who run dockers, how do you do it? Inside a CT? A VM? Any kind of software to manage multiple containers and orchestration?

Reactions: sleeptoroll
I would love if docker containers would be handled similarly to CTs/VMs by Proxmox but there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Already discussed a lot ... last time here.

So I was wondering, from those who run dockers, how do you do it? Inside a CT? A VM?

a VM, or multiple for orchestration

Any kind of software to manage multiple containers and orchestration?

Yes, Kubernetes as PaaS on Proxmox IaaS

I run about 5 docker-host VMs across 5 nodes, with portainer in a swarm. Works a treat! Used with CEPH you can move VMs that house containers to other hosts, do maintenance, migrate again. Very fast and efficient. Love it.

With this setup you can test and use various orchestration methods very easily.

Note: If you create a template of a docker-image VM, you can add a new VM host to the docker swarm rather quickly. A minute or so. I just have to figure out a way to do the hostname and command to add to a swarm from a base template. I don't think Proxmox supports a first init type deal. I may step back and create VMs another way maybe with KVM tools or something.

I don't think Proxmox supports a first init type deal. I may step back and create VMs another way maybe with KVM tools or something.

There is some proof-of-concept docker-machine driver for Proxmox VE, but that lacks the main ingredient: the operating system to run. There is/was Boot2Docker and RancherOS and both are not suited out-of-the-box (at least they were not). For my systems, I use PXE netboot to bootstrap Debian 10 Buster with Docker and Kubernetes and it can be automated to spin up hundreds of VMs.

For my systems, I use PXE netboot to bootstrap Debian 10 Buster with Docker and Kubernetes and it can be automated to spin up hundreds of VMs.

This is a great idea as my USG supports it and have the tftp ready already. With the VLAN tag on the network config for the VMs this is gonna be awesome.

Thanks for the replies and information, really good to see how other people solve this and why.

I still believe being able to manage docker containers directly on proxmox would be an amazing tool. Maybe I’m thinking too much outside the box... but if it’s been discussed a lot it must be because more and more people want these tools.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!