[Beginner Question] Best setup according to hardware and use cases

Sinpls

Dec 21, 2023
Hi,
I'm planning on creating a home server over the holidays to migrate away from a basic Synology NAS setup. I've gathered some old hardware from my personal PC and am a bit unsure how I should properly set up proxmox (and a NAS solution such as TrueNas) for my needs. It's very much a hobby project to learn with no critical functionality. But I would like to eventually store some data with data redundancy, mainly an archive of old pictures and video.

Specs:
- i7-8700k with a Scythe Mugen cooler
- MSI Z370 PC-PRO Motherboard
- 2x 4TB WD Red Plus (Currently in the Synology NAS)
- 1x 1TB NVME SSD
- 32GB DDR4 RAM (4x8GB)

I assume that my energy consumption will be quite high compared to a conventional NAS, but optimizing CPU usage/power consumption will come later. As for my use cases:
- Storage solution with data redundancy (~200GB in size and will rarely be increased)
- Storage solution where capacity is preferred over data redundancy (Media files mainly)
- Full media stack through docker (Sonarr, Radarr, Prowlarr, Jellyfin etc)
- Various other docker containers such as Mealie
- Option to host servers such as Ark or Minecraft for example for friends and family.

My main concern is how to utilize my available storage devices for the most capacity possible while still having at least some data redundancy for the specified 200GB and also keep it accessible for the media stack and other VMs. The same goes for any VMs that I may want to use and how installation files are best stored.

I've looked up plenty of guides but am still a bit lost for this specific hardware setup, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I assume that my energy consumption will be quite high compared to a conventional NAS, but optimizing CPU usage/power consumption will come later.
Most of the time you can't optimize much. Biggest saving you get by buying more modern mobile hardware and by not running it 24/7.

My main concern is how to utilize my available storage devices for the most capacity possible while still having at least some data redundancy for the specified 200GB and also keep it accessible for the media stack and other VMs. The same goes for any VMs that I may want to use and how installation files are best stored.

I've looked up plenty of guides but am still a bit lost for this specific hardware setup, so any help would be very much appreciated.
Also keep backups in mind. Especially the 3-2-1 rule.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!