Backups in 4.2 version

saulllynas

Aug 4, 2016
Hi everyone,
I didn't find exact answers and helpful information about backup location in 4.2 version. Few weeks ago we had older Proxmox version, where weren't LVM. And now we installed newest v4.2 and I have a leak in my knowledge about configuring backup location.. We have 100GB Root dir and 1,5TB data pool. Using lsblk I see:
└─sda3 8:3 0 1.7T 0 part
├─pve-root 251:0 0 96G 0 lvm /
├─pve-swap 251:1 0 8G 0 lvm [SWAP]
├─pve-data_tmeta 251:2 0 100M 0 lvm
│ └─pve-data-tpool 251:4 0 1.5T 0 lvm

And everything seems ok, in Proxmox I see VM files and so on, but if I want to make a backup, they are maid in root dir. I can't change settings, that backup directory would be in 1,5TB dir, and I can't backup all VM, because there will be a leak of free space in root dir.

Maybe someone could explaine me if it is possible to change backup location to 1,5TB dir (I don't want to set other network storage location..).

Reactions: fireon
You need a file system to store backup files, and it seems you only have one on '/' (Note: LVM pve-data-pool is a block device, so you cannot store backups there)...

Well, but in older versions we were able to store backups in other mapped locations (but if I remember well, it hadn't LVM..). So, now there is an array of 4 discs and if I want that system could make backups I need to add at least one more HDD (it won't be included in RAID) and map it to any location. Will I be able to set up backup process in that disk?

Maybe you could offer better solution of keeping backups safe and making this process easier?

No, I guess no :)

Ok, and one more question about backuping to network drive: should I create NFS storage that I could backup to it, or there is another way of backuping to network drive?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!