[SOLVED] Backup traffic through fiber.

igorfk

Jul 28, 2023
To connect to a PBS we must inform its IP and the backups will be made through that IP network, but would there be a way to make the backups go through the FC network?

In an arrangement like the one in the diagram, even though the PVE sees the block device through fiber, the backup traffic would still be through IP, correct?

I haven't created a zvol as in the diagram yet, but would that /dev/zd0 block device be seen by PBS or would it need to be another block device to be visible to PBS and shareable through FC?

Code:
╔══════════════════╗
║ ┌────────┐       ║
║ │/dev/zd0│  PBS  ║
║ └────┬───┘       ║
╚══════╪═══════╤═══╝
       │       │
    FC │    IP │
       │       │
╔══════╪═══════╧═══╗
║ +----╵---+       ║
║ ┆/dev/zd0┆  PVE  ║
║ +--------+       ║
╚══════════════════╝

I'm thinking of one of the following alternatives:

PBS installed together with PVE, where the /dev/zd0 block device, mapped from the target, is used by the PBS.
Code:
╔════════════════════╗
║ ┌────────┐ Some OS ║
║ │/dev/zd0│as target║
║ └────┬───┘         ║
╚══════╪═════════════╝
       │
    FC │
       │
╔══════╪═══════════╗
║ +----╵---+  PVE  ║
║ ┆/dev/zd0┆   +   ║
║ +--------+  PBS  ║
╚══════════════════╝

Or maybe with the PBS as a container where the /dev/zd0 mapped from the target is another mountpoint in it.
Code:
╔═════════════════════╗
║  ┌────────┐ Some OS ║
║  │/dev/zd0│as target║
║  └────┬───┘         ║
╚═══════╪═════════════╝
        │
     FC │
        │
╔═══════╪═══════════╗
║ ┌─────┼────┐      ║
║ │+----╵---+│      ║
║ │┆/dev/zd0┆│ PVE  ║
║ │+--------+│      ║
║ │    PBS   │      ║
║ │ container│      ║
║ └──────────┘      ║
╚═══════════════════╝

Doing either way in each PVE.

I will try to validate this week.

Indeed, installing a PBS in a PVE meets the demand of using FC to transport backups.

Creating in the SAN the ZVOL and then made available to the initiators (PVEs), so the PBS in them uses that block device.

I feel silly after noticing that this is not an uncommon procedure here on the forum. =)

Btw, I found it was a smooth sailing to use a PVE installed together with a PBS instead of using a PBS inside a container.

Marking as solved since there is a feasible alternative.

Btw, I found it was a smooth sailing to use a PVE installed together with a PBS instead of using a PBS inside a container.
I must rephrase that. It's a smooth sailing only installing. When you get too cocky with your fast backups the resource usage will sky high; in a container you can limit the resource usage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!