backup server with remote storage or USB? (edited)

benoitc

Dec 21, 2019
So waiting a proper baclup machine due to limited supply. I would like to start to use the proxmox backup server. The size of backup sholdn't be large. At max probably 1TB on disk. I have an unused spare machine with 2x10Gbe + 4x1GbE, 2x240 GB SSD and 16GB RAM. The storage can't be expanded unmess I change the disks. I could right now add an M.2 disk or a sata dom but that's all.

I am wonderingwhich one of these solution is better:

1. plug an USB 3.0 disk to it would work for the time beeing.
2. connect to the NAS using iSCSI as I planned to do before buying this new machine using the 2 10G links?

The second solution would imply to send the data twicemostly on the network. But is this an issue ? Backup will be daily or hourly depending on te machines. Also can PBS be installed in a container? This would allow me to use that machine for different usagess.

Thoughts? Any feedback or idea are welcome :)

Last edited:
edited initial post to be more accorate, hopefully it will help to understand where I am struggling :)

Doesn't really matter, both works.

10G links for 1TB doesn't really make a difference, only changed data is send over the wire which totals to maybe 1-5% in most cases.

Even with USB3 or 1G link backups should take less then 15 minutes.

Backup storage doesn't necessarily need to run in raid, it's better to have a third offsite storage.

Reactions: benoitc
Doesn't really matter, both works.

10G links for 1TB doesn't really make a difference, only changed data is send over the wire which totals to maybe 1-5% in most cases.

Even with USB3 or 1G link backups should take less then 15 minutes.

Backup storage doesn't necessarily need to run in raid, it's better to have a third offsite storage.
OK thanks for the answer. I will try. The only real thing now the I have to decide is if I will run PBS along PVE using debian packages or in a VM. The first one should work if they share their way to configure the system. The PRO of having it in PVE is the flexibility given for it to reuse the bridges and the storage configuration from PVE...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!