[SOLVED] Backup on a CIFS NAS share, in a subfolder

kenaddams42

Apr 3, 2020
Hi,

I successfully configured a CIFS storage hosted on my Synology NAS server (some issues with SMB version, resolved now).

The share I use is my main Backup directory where all my backups are stored on the NAS (R-PI, server TGZ, etc).

Is there a way to require Proxmox to store all its backups in a subfolder named "Proxmox" ?

Thank you
++

Is there a way to require Proxmox to store all its backups in a subfolder named "Proxmox" ?

Yes you can, just Create a Directory from Datacenter -> Storage -> Add Directory give him name and path then when you will make backup just select the folder that you created.

Reactions: Bilson
I don't get it...
1. create the CIFS storage type, let's say device NAS, share Data
2. create a Directory type ?? what would be the path for this Directory so that backups go into //NAS/Data/Backups ?

Last edited:
You need to set the "is_mountpoint" option to the path of your mountpoint by using pvesm. Otherwise, if the SMB/NFS share fails to mount, the backup job will write all those backups to the root filesystem until the server will crash because PVE is running out of space:

pvesm set YourDirStorageID --is_mountpoint /path/to/your/mountpoint

Last edited:
Just edit /etc/pve/storage.cfg
and add subdir /example at the end of the added storage.

Like this:
Code:
cifs: backup-nas
        path /mnt/pve/backup-nas
        server 10.0.0.x
        share backup
        content backup
        prune-backups keep-all=1
        username example
        subdir /example

Reactions: Porencephaly13

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!