Backup in LXC with Proxmox 4.1

Did I understand that right, the built-in backup is skipping certain contents by default? Where can we read up more on this topic?

yes, vzdump has a default exclude list (as described in "man vzdump").

Reactions: Ovidiu
WTF Proxmox never used to do that, this has caused me alot of problems a warning would have been nice ... Its ok now that i found out a bit late and potentially catastrophic.

I am sure Proxmox has included this seriously not cool default setting for a reason? but as far as i am concerned incomplete backups are broken backups. Also when i did my latest enterprise repo update Proxmox wanted remove the stdexcludes: 0 line from my /etc/vzdump.conf not nice

This has been in the code since 2011 AFAICT.

Ok sorry i did not realize that, could have sworn that my OpenVZ containers always got backed up correctly with all files as default. Also would like to apologize for my last post after a reread i realize i was quite frustrated and did not mean to come across quite so angry Sorry

Hi,
A quick and simple question: after applying the latest updates to pve-manager, do we still need to modify /etc/vzdump.conf with "stdexcludes: 0"? Or not?
Thanks.
EDIT: Ok, nevermind. I just tried creating a backup, and I can confirm that:
- Applying all updates as of today to pve-manager, brought me to version 4.2-17.
- No changes to /etc/vzdump.conf
- An lxc backup in mode "stop" created a backup with the folder /var/log/ with all content.

So all is well, at least for me! :) Thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!