Backup How to Exclude Data Drive?

Paueron

Jan 22, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to you regarding an issue with my Proxmox VE setup. I've added an SMB storage managed by TrueNas, which is hosted within a VM on my server. I'm using this storage for backing up my server, and these backups are then sent to OneDrive through TrueNas.

However, I also intend to back up TrueNas itself onto this SMB storage. The problem is that when I initiate the backup, it automatically includes more than 4TB of data because it encompasses both the TrueNas installation disk (32GB) and the 4TB data HDD.

I was wondering if there's a way to back up only the Proxmox installation disk, the 32GB one, while excluding the 4TB data drive. Does anyone have any suggestions or procedures to share regarding this?

Attachments

• Disks.png
    Disks.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Backup1.png
    Backup1.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Backup2.png
    Backup2.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 6
You said "Proxmox installation disk". Do you mean the TrueNAS OS disk?

If so, for the TrueNAS VM select "Hardware" and then edit the 4TB Hard Disk. Select "Advanced" and then deselect the "Backup" option.

Reactions: Paueron
As that disk won't exist when you restore the VM, I would check to restore the VM after excluding that disk, as it might have trouble booting up with a missing disk.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!