Backup data storage pool

JohnTanner

Sep 25, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding backups, that doesn't seem to be too common. I use proxmox at home on my own little server / in a 2-3 node cluster.
Since the server is a home server, it houses quiet some files that i would like to back up one way or another. These files are stored in their own storage pool, separated from VM/CT data, and in their own dataset. That dataset is then forwarded to a container with a mount point.

To my actual question: Can one backup this storage pool/dataset natively with proxmox to another node or to another target? Or would it be better to just have a rsync server on another node that then backs up the data to another storage pool?

VM and CT data is already being backed up, so that's not a concern of mine.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

P.S.: is it possible to add drives lateron to a RAIDZ1 to expand capacity? I couldn't find an up to date answer to that

Hi,

if you use ZFS you can use pve-zsync to backup the data offside.
Or use pvesr in the cluster but this is no backup.

Expending a ZFS is only possible with new dev. This means you always add an extend to the other vdevs.

1.) https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PVE-zsync
2.) https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Replication

Hello Wolfgang,

thank you for your reply.
Right now i don't have a backup server yet so i can not test this; therefore one more question:

would the command

pve-zsync create --source 192.168.1.1:/HQ/sharing --dest BKP/drop --verbose --maxsnap 4 --name replica_01 --limit 512 --skip

then create a recurring job that backs up the dataset "sharing" in the pool HQ to the pool BKP/drop located at the specified IP?

many thanks,

JohnTanner

Edit:

I thought so that a RAIDZ was not expandable after creation but i wanted to be sure. Thank you for clarifying :D

then create a recurring job that backs up the dataset "sharing" in the pool HQ to the pool BKP/drop located at the specified IP?
Yes default it runs every 15 minutes but it is just a cron entry so you can set every time interval you like.

I thought so that a RAIDZ was not expandable after creation but i wanted to be sure.
The vdev (RaidZ) itself is not extendable, but you can add a new vdev to the pool and expend the pool.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!