AWS tape gateway? or something else?

Dec 8, 2021
USA
I am looking for suggestions.

I have a small number of VM's that are critical for me and I want to offsite my backups to AWS. I would really like to use an amazon Tape Gateway, This makes sense to me because I already have a stack of LTO5 tapes that will need to be migrated. I know there have been some compatibility issues with Tape Gateway.

What I am looking for is; either confirmation that I should put in the time to set up a tape gateway.
-OR-
Suggestions, What other options would you suggest? AWS solutions are preferred but I will take what I can get.

My last resort would be an AWS PBS instance to Sync to maybe... That way I can reduce my data transferred by doing de-duplication locally. But that sounds messy and expensive with licensing.

we tried to get it to work with the aws tape gateway, and while they are simulating an LTO-5 tape drive, it does not actually emulate all features from that which are necessary for PBS' tape backup.

see
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/a...tus-failed-failed-to-fill-whole-buffer.93009/
and https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=343535&tstart=0

if AWS has some kind of fileshare, something like that could work maybe?

My last resort would be an AWS PBS instance to Sync to maybe... That way I can reduce my data transferred by doing de-duplication locally. But that sounds messy and expensive with licensing.
this is actually kind of how pbs was designed. having a second pbs instance off-site which pulls the local snapshots.
regarding licensing, do you mean AWS licensing? no idea on that, but the license on PBS is AGPLv3 (so free & open source), and the subscriptions are for support and the enterprise repo only

Reactions: hvisage
this is actually kind of how pbs was designed. having a second pbs instance off-site which pulls the local snapshots.

Using PBS in exactly this manner!
actually 2 ways in my case
1 the local backup PBS (having the historical long term backups too)
2a DR DC (same provider) syncing from the local shorter term pruning
2b other side of the world on a different provider syncing also from the local, even more pruning as it's a total disaster restore case.

regarding licensing, do you mean AWS licensing? no idea on that, but the license on PBS is AGPLv3 (so free & open source), and the subscriptions are for support and the enterprise repo only

Ok, That makes sense,

So lets say I have a server that backs up every hour, could I limit the transfer to only the last backup of the day? or would I be forced to back up all of the individual, albeit smaller backups?

could I limit the transfer to only the last backup of the day? or would I be forced to back up all of the individual, albeit smaller backups?
currently not, but the backups are deduplicated, so the sync only pulls unique chunks (i.e. if there are 2 backups with 2GiB data each, but they share 1GiB chunks, you'd have to pull 3GiB)

but that would probably a good feature request: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

Well, for the deduplication to work, you need at least a backup as close to the current as possible, but the way I "simulate" the above, is to do frequent synchronizations, but then do a pruning of all the old ones I don't want on the remote. Also PBS will NOT sync previous old backups (ie, your remote have 2022/02/28, but the local have 2022/03/01-02 and 2022/02/20 to 2022/02/28, the remote will ignore (and you'll see the information messages in the logs) that it will ignore all those older then 202202/28 (the newest on remote) and only synchronize 2022/03/01 & 02

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!