AWS Vitual Tape Library "decode element status failed - failed to fill whole buffer"

Tobias_Seitz

Jul 20, 2021
Hello,

I connected the media changer of my AWS storage gateway via ISCSI to my PBS.
iscsiadm -m node --targetname iqn..com.amazon:sgw-idididmediachanger --login

Then i added the changer via the following command to the pbs-system
proxmox-tape changer create sl3 --path /dev/tape/by-id/mychanger

When i query the status of the changer via the following command
proxmox-tape changer status sl3

I get the following error

Error: error reading element status: decode element status failed - failed to fill whole buffer

Same behavior in the GUI

System:
Debian Testing
Proxmox Backup Server version: 2.0-4
AWS Vitual Tape Library

ok, we did not test yet with the aws virtual tape lib, but this is rather high on my todo list. i'll look into it soon

Reactions: Tobias_Seitz
just to know: which type of tape library did you choose for the aws gateway?
i have 3 types to choose from

AWS-Gateway-VTL
IBM-03584L32-0402
STK-L700

just to know: which type of tape library did you choose for the aws gateway?
i have 3 types to choose from

AWS-Gateway-VTL
IBM-03584L32-0402
STK-L700
Thanks for looking into it!

I have tested with the
AWS-Gateway-VTL
AND
IBM-03584L32-0402

ok, so i looked a bit into it, sent a patch that should fix the issue mentioned in the first post, but i could not successfully backup to the aws tape gateway...
it seemd their emulated drive does not support all lto5 scsi commands (despite emulating an lto5 drive) which we rely on (eg. long form of 'READ POSITION' and 'LOCATE')

edit: i opened a thread on their support forum[0], but no answer yet
0: https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=343535&tstart=0

Last edited:
Hi dcsapak,

are there any news on this?
The VTL from AWS is used by many companies, because its easy cheap and convenient.
It would be nice if proxmox could support this VTL

are there any news on this?
no, sadly

i asked them (see the forum link) if they support lto-5 at all (since they simulate an lto-5 drive) but gut no definitive answer yet
there are some scsi commands we rely on which are found on all lto-5 drives as well as most lto-4 ones we encountered, yet amazons emulated drive does not support them...

no, sadly

i asked them (see the forum link) if they support lto-5 at all (since they simulate an lto-5 drive) but gut no definitive answer yet
there are some scsi commands we rely on which are found on all lto-5 drives as well as most lto-4 ones we encountered, yet amazons emulated drive does not support them...
Hi dcsapak,

may I ask if you are in contact with Daniele from AWS regarding this issue?
Is there any news?

Thanks!

may I ask if you are in contact with Daniele from AWS regarding this issue?
Is there any news?
hi, sorry for the late answer.

She wrote that Proxmox is currently not supported, but did not really answer my question as to LTO-5 support.
So for now it seems that the AWS Tape Gateway simply does not support the necessary functions for PBS to work, and they seem to not want to implement it..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!