Auto Provisioning and IP Assignment Provisioning script

May 9, 2016
Hi All,

I've been working hard to make the job of provisioning and assigning ips easier. So I'd like to share a little script I've made that I hope some of you will find it helpful in your mission to automate the world.

I apologise to mods if this isn't the right section.

The reason I developed this is because I wanted a way to automatically provision a new virtual machine with Ansible.

The main issue I was facing when using templates with Proxmox is they retain their ip address and there isn't a way (as far as I am aware) to change the ip address before creating a new vm from a template.

I did figure out that I was able to clone a template then mount the kvm image and change the network configuration on the host machine.

From this proxmox tools was born, not really a comprehensive tool set at the moment, but a big first step.

The script uses both the Proxmox API and ssh to achieve a quick and automated provisioning and you can use it to not only change the network configuration before lauching a new vm but also change any files on a system before starting for the first time.

For some reason when I started this project I though it was a good time to start learning ruby.....

So if you are a ruby expert you will probably find some very noob errors and unfortunately I haven't got time to refactor into something that looks nice. So pull requests to expand the functionality or coding standards are welcome.

Please find the repo here

Proxmox Tools

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!