Assigning DNS Domain and DNS Server by DHCP Server

kuumaur

Nov 15, 2021
Hi,
I have a question regarding assigning DNS Domain and DNS Server by a DHCP Server to a Container.

I want to assign the DNS Server and the DNS Domain by a DHCP Server to several Container.
In every Subnet/vmbridge I have a DHCP Server.
This Server is assigning several options, like DNS Server and DNS Domain.
All the container getting a valid IP Address from the DHCP Server, except DNS Server and DNS Domain.
I can set these values in the DNS (DNS Domain | DNS Server -> use host settings) section of Proxmox of course, but I want it assigned by the DHCP Server.
So, how to tell the Proxmox Server to not provide DNS Domain or DNS Server?
Is there a way to do so?

Thanks in advance

If you select DHCP when creating the container then the DHCP supplied DNS Server and Domain are set correctly - you can verify by running cat /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases inside your container to see the supplied DHCP options

Yes, you are right.
I started from scratch and now that I know it should work, it works as expected ;).
Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!