April 2022 MS updates hanging Windows guest

RokModTwo

Nov 11, 2015
We are on 7.1-8

For the April 2022 round of Microsoft Windows updates, i.e. 2022-04 Cumulative, looks like it is hanging 100% of our Windows guest VM upon restart.

I.e. after applying patches within VM, restart per normal process, but the VM gets stuck on the MS-logo with swirl. Will stay there for hours.

As a work-around solution, looks like a "stop" via the PVE web gui works, and Start of the VM completes per normal behavior and gets to the Windows login. We logged into the VM and then did a restart via Windows. That 2nd restart worked OK, i.e. did NOT get hung at the same point.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this further either from the PVE-side or Windows-guest side? I suspect it is virtual-hardware vs Windows interaction during that phase of the of the boot-up.

Having same problem. Tried updating qemu-guest-agent to no avail. Hope there's a solution soon...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!