Another video pass-through question

FritzGman

Apr 14, 2024
Hi.

Very new to Proxmox and not a linux head.

I'm trying to pass-through an Intel iGPU (P530). CPU and MSI motherboard both support VT-d and is enabled in the BIOS but it just has not worked. "No IOMMU detected. Please activate it."

Read guides here. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI_Passthrough - and here - https://peanut-tech.com/how-to-pass-through-intel-igpu-to-proxmox-virtual-machine/

I also searched the forum a bunch but none seem to be the problem I have.

Here are the steps I took:

1) updated grub with - GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt"
2) Ctrl + O, Ctrl + X, update-grub
3) reboot
4) updated vfio modules
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
5) update-initramfs -u -k all
6) reboot
7) dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU - confirms DMAR:IOMMU enabled

Go to the VM to add the PCI device and ....

1713090006732.png

CPU(s)
8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v5 @ 3.60GHz (1 Socket)
Kernel Version
Linux 6.5.13-5-pve (2024-04-05T11:03Z)
Boot Mode
EFI
Manager Version
pve-manager/8.1.10/4b06efb5db453f29
Repository Status
Proxmox VE updates Non production-ready repository enabled!

I just don't understand what I am doing wrong. Hoping someone can help me out. Thanks.

As always with this weekly issue on this forum: what is the output of cat /proc/cmdline? Maybe you added it to the wrong bootloader. Did you follow the steps from the manual ?
Thought I had added that, my bad.

cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.5.13-5-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on

Yes, I RTFM.

That said, I was able to resolve my issue.

1713122956452.png

The motherboard BIOS has two areas for virtualization features. First under motherboard settings to enable CPU virtualization, then secondly, VT-d was under CPU overclocking. I had missed that so it was not turned on. I only found it because I decided to check every single setting in BIOS. I knew it had to be something I missed but didn't think it was that. This is not documented in the motherboard manual. Thanks MSI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!