An Easy Solution for Networking, But Cant Get It Work

alkinkasap

Aug 7, 2022
Hi all, recently i've ordered an auction server from hetzner and wanted to run all my vps-vm needs on this auction server. I've followed so many tutorials, applied so many rules and re-installed proxmox so many times in the past week.
Anyway, my problem is getting networking done. To be honest, i was planning to build an OPNSense vm and use OPNSense to redirect appropiate ports to appropiate vm's since most of the vm's im gonna build will be using different ports for main app purposes. The thing is when proxmox installation gets done and i open networking tab it doesnt look like any of the tuts ive seen. Here im leaving screenshot of this as the first sc.
Screenshot (5).png
On many tutorials ive seen enp98***f0 device properties are blank, instead vmbr0-1-2-3 etc are filled with ip address and gateway ip. So their vm's work as intented. Screenshot 2 is from gatewayit tuts youtube video.
Screenshot (7).png
Since im not even a newbie on networking i dont understand how this works out. Because if i apply appropiate values to bridge i got error on screenshot 3.
Screenshot (6).png
If i apply gateway ip to bridge very similar errors pops out saying;
``Parameter verification failed. (400)
gateway: Default gateway already exists on interface 'enp98s0f0'.``

So i thought delete values from network device and apply as seen to bridge. Wow, then i lose my connection to the server. Re-install.

To make it more understandable im also leaving interfaces file sc and my ip page from hetzner.
Screenshot (4).pngScreenshot (5) - Copy.png

As you can see ive already ordered an additional ip from hetzner. With the current setup (or the ones ive tried earlier) no bridge makes installed vm's to connect to the internet. I can build them, run them, but no internet connection.

So i belive there is a dead simple solution to this but i cannot get it right. I would be really greatful if someone helps me out on this and tells me how to configure my networking tab.

Thank you in advance.

As you can see ive already ordered an additional ip from hetzner. With the current setup (or the ones ive tried earlier) no bridge makes installed vm's to connect to the internet. I can build them, run them, but no internet connection.

So i belive there is a dead simple solution to this but i cannot get it right.
at hetzner you'll most likely have to add a hwaddress to your bridges in the /etc/network/interfaces file, their switches block packets from "unknown" mac addresses (only your physical machine's mac address will work).

something like:
Code:
auto vmbr0                                                             
iface vmbr0 inet static                                                
        hwaddress aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
        address 192.168.1.1/24                                         
        bridge-ports none                                              
        bridge-stp off                      
        bridge-fd 0

the IP addresses should also be static on the bridge interfaces (except for the main uplink interface), see the network configuration page as well [0]

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_default_configuration_using_a_bridge

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!