Alder Lake i5 12400, Windows 11 guest with WSL Nested Virtualization not working

gogito

Jan 12, 2022
Hi guys, I'm trying to run Windows 11 Guest with WSL2. My config is the following:

i5 12400
Proxmox 7.4-3 Kernel 5.15.104-1
Windows 11 Guest -
CPU type is Host
Nested Virtualization is enabled (Checked with cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested)

When booting into Windows 11,
Task manager show
Virtual Machine: Yes,
and L1 Cache is N/A but the CPU name is correct: i5 12400

Manually editing the config file for the VM, adding in: args: -cpu 'host, +vmx, -hypervisor' will then have Task Manager show the correct CPU specs, L1 L2 L3, Virtualization Enabled

However, in both case, trying to install WSL then reboot will fail => Automatic Prepare.

Exact same behavior if I use Windows Server 2022 However, nested work with another PVE Guest, I tried an LXC on that and it works fine.

Curiously, Virtualbox works fine in the Windows 11 Host. I have not tested in Windows Server 2022 yet.

Can someone help me get this running?

Have the exact same problem here, config is:

Code:
agent: 1
args: -cpu 'host,+svm,-hypervisor'
audio0: device=ich9-intel-hda,driver=spice
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;net0;ide0
cores: 16
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-890-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
ide0: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.229.iso,media=cdrom,size=522284K
machine: pc-q35-8.0
memory: 16384
meta: creation-qemu=8.0.2,ctime=1691364362
name: windows
net0: e1000=xxxxxx,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1,link_down=1
numa: 1
ostype: win11
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-890-disk-1,iothread=1,size=256G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=xxxxxxxxxx
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: local-lvm:vm-890-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
usb0: spice,usb3=1
vga: qxl
vmgenid: xxxxxxxxxxx

Have also tried this with Windows 10, which has a similar problem (hangs at splashscreen, as reported here https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/windows-10-wsl2-not-booting-under-proxmox-ve-7-3.122298/).

Running Proxmox 8.0.3.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem as well. I have an Intel NUC 13th gen... with a Core i5-1340P CPU... Nesting looks to be enabled yet when I go to enable WSL2 in a Windows 11 VM it goes into a Automatic Repair boot loop

Attach is the output of my latest journalctl -b command.

Attachments

• journalctl-output.txt
    161.4 KB · Views: 2
I have the exact same problem as well. I have an Intel NUC 13th gen... with a Core i5-1340P CPU... Nesting looks to be enabled yet when I go to enable WSL2 in a Windows 11 VM it goes into a Automatic Repair boot loop

Attach is the output of my latest journalctl -b command.
hello,
adding in /etc/pve/qemu-server/XXX.conf

Code:
args: -cpu Cooperlake,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,+vmx

works for me.

hello,
adding in /etc/pve/qemu-server/XXX.conf

Code:
args: -cpu Cooperlake,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,+vmx

works for me.
My environment is ”Intel Alder Lake-N95 processor” with
Proxmox VE8.0.4.

When I reboot the OS after booting WSL2 (virtualization platform ON) in Windows 11
I was having trouble getting into the auto-repair loop when starting Windows.
I came across this thread. And tried it.
By adding this argument, I was able to boot successfully.
Thank you very much!

Reactions: xixou971
FYI, adding this configuration change disables the ability to do GPU passthrough with the onboard Intel Iris XE GPU to the VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!