Adding redundancy after installation

tobaws

Dec 6, 2021
Dear Proxmox Community

I recently started renting a dedicated server. The Provider allows for automized installation of Proxmox VE 6, which I've chosen.

The server has 2 SSD's of 74.5G and an additional HDD available. However, the installation was done (as to be expected) on a single drive /dev/sda. I want the server to operate with data parity (Proxmox Boot and VM's) on the two SSDs. I also thought about running the two SSDs in a ZFS rpool. However, this could get difficult since KVM can't be provided with this server. But I'm not planning to run ZFS without ECC memory anyway.

What would be your recommended way of installing Proxmox VE on the given hardware? My priority is data redundancy as well as being able to take snapshots.

Below are details about drives and partitions by the automized installation. Partition sda2 holds the operating system.
I have access to a recovery system with which I could make some operations on the disks/partitions.

Code:
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0    7:0    0 662.4M  1 loop /usr/lib/live/mount/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs
sda      8:0    0  74.5G  0 disk
|-sda1   8:1    0     1M  0 part
|-sda2   8:2    0   9.3G  0 part /mnt/disk1
|-sda3   8:3    0  62.5G  0 part /mnt/disk2
`-sda4   8:4    0   2.7G  0 part
sdb      8:16   0  74.5G  0 disk
sdc      8:32   0   1.8T  0 disk

Code:
Model: ATA INTEL SSDSA2M080 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB                        bios_grub
 2      2097kB  10.0GB  10.0GB  ext4
 3      10.0GB  77.2GB  67.2GB  ext4
 4      77.2GB  80.0GB  2870MB  linux-swap(v1)        swap

Thanks very much for your opinion.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!