[SOLVED] Adding PCI device and starting the VM causes web GUI to fail

jriley

Feb 5, 2023
Going to add as much context as possible, one aspect being that I'm a scrub at Proxmox

Got an old Dell T3610 with a Intel® Xeon® E5-1607, it has an integrated Intel 82579. I had a PCI NIC laying around, TEG-PCITXR with a RTK8169 on it. (don't know if hardware info is relevant).

When I first flash Proxmox VE 7.3.1 (kernel: 5.14.74-1-pve), I create a VM and try adding a PCI device via the Hardware menu. When doing so, I get a highlighted alert saying "No IOMMU detected, please activate". I checked BIOS and found that "Intel Virtualization Technology" and "VT for Direct I/O" were both enabled. When running
cat /proc/cmdline, I was getting BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.15.74-1-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet, it was missing intel_iommu=on.

When running proxmox-boot-tool refresh, I get
Code:
Running hook script 'proxmox-auto-removal'..
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private
mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.

I followed this thread's recommendation to switch legacy-boot to Proxmox-Boot-Tool. I found the 512M partition via lslk, ran proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sdb2 --force, then proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sdb2. At this point, I ran proxmox-boot-tool refresh and rebooted the system. Again I ran cat /proc/cmdline, still didn't see intel_iommu=on, so I added it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub. Reran
proxmox-boot-tool refresh, rebooted, and now intel_iommu shows in cat /proc/cmdline. And I can add the PCI device via the webgui at https://192.168.1.1:8006..

however...

When I add the PCI device via hardware and attempt the start the vm, the web gui crashes. My question is, what specific logs should I be reading to find more info on why it's crashing? I can still run commands on the physical machine and can even still ssh into it. It's just the web gui, it endlessly loads if that qm is in a running state. I then have to stop it from the commandline before the webgui will work again.

Last edited:
Holdup, I think just adding intel_iommu=on to /etc/default/grub has fixed that issue. Can someone explain that setting? I don't know what exactly it's doing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!