[SOLVED] Adding HDD ends in dead network and "Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"

TheForumTroll

Nov 21, 2020
UPDATE for anyone finding this via a search: The solution is in the last post. TLDR; use UUIDs in fstab. For some reason proxmox uses the old /dev/sdx system and it breaks boot.

I just tried to add new drives to my Proliant server but it boots up with all network interfaces as DOWN and an error in dmesg:

Can't load firmware file "bnx2/bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw"

If I remove the drives everything work as expected again. I have no idea what is going on here but I'm guessing it has something to do with messed up mounting of drives. Unfourtnatly I only know a little about using fstab in linux and there's hardly anything in it.
Code:
/dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/pve/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
LABEL=XXXX /mnt/data ext4 defaults 0 0
LABEL=YYYY /mnt/backup ext4 defaults 0 0

Anyone knows what is going on?

Last edited:
Hi,

Could it be that the new HDD contains a Grub Loader?
Because this firmware is part of the initramfs and is loaded at the boot sequence.

If I understand your question correctly @wolfgang you are asking if the server boots up from the drive? If so no it does not. It does boot from the RAID normally.

EDIT: "Normally" was clearly the wrong word. It does boot from the RAID but it boots up in rescue mode or something.
EDIT 2: Well, making it boot normally still cause the exact same problem and error....

Last edited:
I found the problem. It was a mount problem. By default proxmox uses /dev/sdX mapping in fstab (a very old way to mount drives). Using a modern UUID setup fixes the problem and proxmox no longer boots up broken. Why an empty disk can break the network is beyond me but it is clearly a proxmox or Linux bug.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!