Adding an Enterprise NVME to Proxmox for VMs

fahadshery

Feb 13, 2021
Hi All,

I just received a HGST SN260 3.84T enterprise NVME to host VMs within Proxmox.
How do I connect it to Proxmox? What would you recommend?
A directory mount or LVM-THIN or something else??

What's your favourite?

thanks

Depends...
If you want performance LVM-Thin should be a good choice.
If you want data integrity checks (that can't be repaired because there is no parity data available) but bad performance I would go with ZFS.
If you want to run a HA cluster I would use ceph.
If you want to be able to rollback snapshots without losing existing data I would use a directory on top of something like XFS.

Last edited:
Reactions: fahadshery
Depends...
If you want performance LVM-Thin should be a good choice.
If you want data integrity checks (that can't be repaired because there is no parity data available) but bad performance I would with ZFS.
If you want to run a HA cluster I would use ceph.
If you want to be able to rollback snapshots without losing existing data I would use a directory on top of something like XFS.

I have gone with performance so LVM-Thin...
Datacenter -> Node -> Disks -> LVM-thin -> Create Thin pool

It will be a classic backup strategy to make sure I don't loose data :)

As always, Thanks for your input! Learnt a lot from you.

It will be a classic backup strategy to make sure I don't loose data
Jep, but keep in mind that with LVM-Thin you will never know if your data got corrupted or not. It can't detect bit rot. So you are maybe backing up corrupted data for years without noticing it, so backups won't help much, as every backup only contains the same corrupted files ;)
Backups will only help when a disk fails, not when your bits and bytes are silently rotting away.

Last edited:
Jep, but keep in mind that with LVM-Thin you will never know if your data got corrupted or not. It can't detect bit rot. So you are maybe backing up corrupted data for years without noticing it, so backups won't help much, as every backup only contains the same corrupted files ;)
Backups will only help when a disk fails, not when your bits and bytes are silently rotting away.
but I shouldn't have ZFS from one NVME. I am not splashing out another £390 for an enterprise just to have a ZFS mirror for homelab ;)
Any suggestions then?
This NVME is to run PostgreSQL and host Proxmox VMs.

You don't need a mirror to detect bit rot. Only to be able to correct bit rot. Then you still get corrupted files but at least you know that they are corrupted so you can restore them from backup, that was done before the last scrub job finished without a checksum error.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!