Adding an already existing virtual machine

ivan.a

Nov 15, 2016
Hello,

I am trying to add physical machine on proxmox. The problem is a data space. However, I converted physical computer to VHDX and than VHDX to qcow2. It's working fine. But hard disk of that computer is 250GB and I do not have space on proxmox - HD space(root) 1.97% (1.86 GiB of 94.37 GiB)
So it says that I have total of 94.47GiB but I already have some containers and virtual computers that takes more than 700GB.
So this is steps I did:
I clicked on Create VM and create new virtual machine (empty). Than I changed config so it points to converted VHDX. And it's working fine. But problem is that image file (qcow2) is on storage. I want to move it on the server. When I move it to the server ( /var/lib/vz/images/108 ) it says that I do not have enught space.

cp: failed to extend ‘/var/lib/vz/images/108/Win2k3.qcow2’: No space left on device

So how to create this virtual machine with image that is located on the server, not storage?

To be clear,
basically I want to create virtual machine from existing qcow2 image file (on the proxmox server, not storage).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!