[SOLVED] Adding an additional disk for storage (Win 11, Blue Iris)

bsynnerlig

Apr 7, 2022
Hi there! I'm on Proxmox Virtual Environment 7.1-12.

I've set up a VE with Windows 11 and Blue Iris which is a camera surveillance software (requires Windows).

The surveillance footage needs to be stored somewhere and I've attached a 3 TB physical disk solely for this storage. That is, I have no need to store ISO's or backups or whatever on this disk.

As a newbie I've done my best trying to figure out how to do it and I've found good help. The new disk is identified as "sda".

I do have some questions though. As content type, I had to choose something so I selected "Disk Image". There was no option for "general storage". When adding the disk to my virtual machine I had to specify a size. I'd like to make it as big as possible and I didn't know the exact value for number of GB so I entered 3000 which should be close to 3 TB which is the size of the disk.

I'm not sure if that number 3000 will give me any problems in the future because it's most likely not the exact number that I should have used.

After that, in Windows VE I initialized the disk and formatted is as NTFS. Things seems to work actually but I've got a feeling that I haven't done everything "by the book".

In case someone is willing to have a look, I made some screen shots. Does it look OK? I really appreciate any help.

Cheers!

Screenshot from 2022-04-07 13-52-02.png

Screenshot from 2022-04-07 13-53-07.png

Screenshot from 2022-04-07 13-56-36.png

Screenshot from 2022-04-07 13-57-05.pngScreenshot from 2022-04-07 13-57-45.png

Screenshot from 2022-04-07 14-00-14.png

I solved the problem myself. I mounted the disk at /mnt/blue-iris-data-disk but i created the disk in proxmox at a different directory (/mnt/blue-iris-data) which eventually filled up my local root directory. :oops: Now I'm hopefully on the right track.

I guess that for a Blue Iris data disk it might be worth considering just passing through the entire disk to the VM. I found this article in the wiki . Initially my Windows VM had no drivers for SCSI so I had to download the VirtIO ISO, store it on the node and mount it as a CD for the VM. After that I could search for updated drivers in the device manager.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!