Adding a cluster node with Shared LVM/iSCSI and multipath

jlar310

Jun 27, 2007
What is the proper set of steps to add a new node to a cluster when using shared LVM over iSCSI and multipath?

I have had mixed results with this. I've been migrating my servers from ESXi to Promox one at a time. Adding the first 2 nodes to the initial Proxmox host cluster went fine, But the last node failed and blew up the entire cluster. All cluster services were offline, Everything in the web UI had a grey question mark. I am not looking to troubleshoot that at this time because I managed to remove the badly joined node. Rebooting the original nodes brought clustering back online. Many forum posts suggest that failed cluster joins are usually a problem with storage configuration.

What I want to know is how much of the shared storage should I configure on the new node before joining the cluster. What I've been doing is "pvesm scan iscsi x.x.x.x" so the target and node information is populated in /etc/iscsi/nodes. Then I edit those "default" files per the Proxmox Wiki recommendations. Then I install multipath-tools and configure multipath with the same settings as the existing servers, including whitelisting the necessary wwids.

Should I be adding the raw iSCSI device (without the LVM layer) before joining?

How can I ensure that my storage configuration is sane before joining? A failed join is a mess to clean up...

You can use
Code:
pvesm status
as first step. It writes an error if some (network) storage is unavailable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!